Sign in to follow this  
cmb

3D vs 2D Movies. What is the future?

2010 is supposed to be the year of 3D. And thus far we have been living up to that saying. Several blockbuster movies have been released or are going to be released in 3D - How to Train a Dragon in 3D, Avatar (Duh), Shriek Forever After, Alice in Wonderland, Toy Story 3, and others.

With that said,

- What do you guys think the future of 3D is? 3D has gone a really long way since the 1900's where you had to where those goofy red and black 3D glasses heh.

- Do you think newer movies will try and aim to be in 3D?

- Do you think there are enough 3D supported theaters for the future to show multiple 3D Movies at once?

There are pros and cons of seeing a movie in 3D expecially when it comes to aspect ratios. For those who care you may wish to read 3D Avatar vs. 2D Avatar, and the Importance of Aspect Ratios. Than there are the few people who complain that 3D movies make them sick like they are on a roller coaster.

So what are your $0.02 on this madness?

Eventually we wont need to wear glasses to see 3D stuff. But as in Avatar, you should focus on the graphics or 3D. but 3D does help the viewers enjoyment tongue.png

To be completely honest Avatar really didn't have that amazing 3D effects which can be either good or bad depending on how you look at it. But I do agree in the future we will advance beyond those 3D glasses, which would be neat!!

3D Movies will be the future. We will tell our great great grand children someday that "Hey! When I was younger we used to watch everything in 2D!" We will also advance so you don't need those silly glasses. In about 10 years we most likely will have 3D Gaming, 3D TV, 3D Movies, etc.

Now I do think there will be an issue with movie theaters too. No one will go to the 2D theaters and the 3D theaters will be cramped beyond belief. But currently that is not an issue.

Definitely an interesting subject. I do think 3D will become a new standard but they will always offer 2D because not everyone like's the 3D. Some people get motion sick, and currently you have to wear uncomfortable 3D glasses.

I don't think we will see 3D as a standard until 10+ years. Despite what you guys think there are still several people who hate 3D mainly due to the fact that they have to wear those annoying fitting glasses. I know a handful of people that would rather see Avatar in 2D over 3D.

Also science is no where near advancing 3D to the point where you don't need glasses. At least on big screens. (40'' +)

I don't think we will see 3D as a standard until 10+ years. Despite what you guys think there are still several people who hate 3D mainly due to the fact that they have to wear those annoying fitting glasses. I know a handful of people that would rather see Avatar in 2D over 3D.

Also science is no where near advancing 3D to the point where you don't need glasses. At least on big screens. (40'' +)

I disagree. We are starting to see the move to 3D now with or without glasses. Either way, majority of the people are liking the move.

I can't see 3D movies ever being standard because 3D just isn't everyone's cup of tea. There is a lot of demand for them at the moment, but not enough to put 2D cinemas out of business. I love watching 3D myself, but once or twice in the cinema is good enough for me as I sometimes get headaches watching them. Having the 2D DVD/Blu-ray (of any film, not just Avatar) is great, having the 3D versions when they come out, if and when I can afford to do so, will just be a novelty bonus for when I do fancy watching it in 3D, or namely showing them off to friends and family. :biggrin:

I think 3D is definitely the future for films but I honestly cannot see it replacing 2D TV with 3D TV I wouldnt see the advtantage in having everything in 3D partly because the glasses are annoying

Although the new Nintendo DS is coming out with 3D without wearing glasses so that could change a lot.

So in a short part:

3D is the future for films and not for TV

Wooden

Well they tried.

It'll take a while for people to stop complaining and just accept the way that it's going to be (plus we'll need some new technology along the way).

But when 3D very likely DOES become standard, it will surely cement Avatar's place in the history of film to a place where we all want it to be :smile:

But when 3D very likely DOES become standard, it will surely cement Avatar's place in the history of film to a place where we all want it to be :tongue:

I know many people will argue with this because Avatar was not the first 3D movie to be released, but I think it has already been cemented in filming history for taking 3D to a whole new level that will change filming procedures FOREVEEERRR.... MUAHAHAHAHA!!!! *evil grin*

I agree avatar finally brought 3D to a point were you came out and you said WOW but will we ever feel that in our homes watching avatar in 3D I don't think it would have the same effect and I wouldnt want to watch the news in 3D either would be pointless

No doubt 3D is the future. We see it in gaming now (3DS), TVs, cellphones, and of course movies. 3D is the future. And for those of you who get sick of watching "too much 3D" im sure there working a way around that.

No doubt 3D is the future. We see it in gaming now (3DS), TVs, cellphones, and of course movies. 3D is the future. And for those of you who get sick of watching "too much 3D" im sure there working a way around that.

Agreed

I think we'll see a lot of marketing experiments because the technology is pretty much there. The question will be...what sales. 3D in the theater has already proven profitable (ex. Avatar and Harry Potter D.H. pt. 2). Now you can find the tech in everything from TVs to tiny cell phones and just about anything in between that uses a screen for viewing. In the end I think some of these will fall by the weigh side as novelties or be relegated into niche markets while some of them will go mainstream and your kids will never know a day without 3D.

Hope you enjoyed my random speculations.... :secret:

Aketuan